A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to something I've been wanting to do for a while: rebuilding this website. I previously was using a custom Common Lisp script that converted Markdown files to html posts. I found it limiting so I decided to try something different: my entire website is now written in Org mode files. I have one file for each category of posts (like notes or journal entries) and a separate heading for each post.
All posts of a certain type are in one file, so I can more easily refer to them and do things like renaming or reordering them
Org mode has builtin support for things like dates, custom properties (the PROPERTIES drawer is kind of like YAML front matter used in Hugo and Jekyll), tags, tables, and source code blocks
Org mode is a more complete markup language than Markdown.
I'd be lying if I said there aren't some drawbacks to this approach:
This is a lonely route.
It's probably slightly more difficult to export this content than it is to export Markdown files (especially if I start using exotic Org features, like Babel)
I set up a notes page that will delve into some technical details of this setup.
In terms of organization and content on this website, I've made some minor changes:
I've added the notes section, where I want to keep ongoing, longer-form pages about certain topics (inspired by Gwern's long-term essays, among other things) and random notes and lists that someone other than myself could find useful.
The journal is no longer front-and-center, instead the homepage shows a list of blog-style posts. I don't have any "posts" yet, but I want a platform set up for if I have something interesting to write in the future. I also set up an archive for older posts.
Work on my data vis project for TOPP has been progressing slowly as I battle with the tooling. I'm developing a GTK3 app using Go and the gotk3 library, and I want to cross-compile (from Arch Linux) to Windows. I finally managed to get a decent cross-compiling setup using Buildah, and learned a bit about Linux containers in the process.
My next battle, before I release the first version of the program, is to fix a bug in the Excel library I'm using.